Title: Legal Counsel
Date: October 4, 2017
Department: Legal Unit: 5040
Level: 8 –Exempt
Supervisor's Title: Deputy Chief Legal Counsel
Purpose: Provides in-house legal support to the administrative and operating departments
in compliance with Massport’s policies and procedures with an emphasis on procurement
and contract law.
I. ESSENTIAL TASKS OF THE JOB:
A. Under the supervision of the Deputy Chief Legal Counsel, provides legal analysis and
creates documentation arising out of Massport’s operational activities, plans, policies, and
1. Advises departments on procurement and contracting for equipment, goods and
services. Negotiates and drafts the resulting agreements.
2. Drafts and negotiates various legal documents, including contracts for goods and
services, purchase agreements, operating agreements, service agreements, and
interagency memoranda of understanding.
3. Provides legal support and assistance to Massport units, including Purchasing and
4. Reviews and analyzes federal, state and local case law as it affects Massport
policies, procedures and operations.
5. Prepares legal opinions on issues relating to Massport activities.
B. At the direction of the Deputy Chief Legal Counsel, willingness to act as a general in-
house practitioner capable of analyzing a variety of legal issues relating to Massport
activities and provide ongoing legal counsel to various units within Massport.
C. Under the supervision of the Deputy Chief Legal Counsel, prepares resolutions,
memoranda and other supporting documents relative to various items before the Board for
action/review, when necessary.
D. Monitors the legal and regulatory environment in which Massport conducts business.
E. Performs other duties as assigned.
II. SECONDARY JOB TASKS:
A. Completes selected projects as assigned by the Chief Legal Counsel and Deputy Chief
III. JOB REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
A. EDUCATION LEVEL: J.D. Required. Demonstrated knowledge and skills in legal
analysis, document drafting and administrative, regulatory and constitutional law required.
B. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE: A minimum of 3 to 5 years of relevant or transferable
experience in a public agency, corporate or law firm setting with knowledge and skill in
legal analysis and document drafting. Experience in public procurement/contract law is
C. UNIQUE EXPERTISE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATIONS:
1. Must be admitted to the Massachusetts Bar.
2. Ability to pass a Massport controlled substances test and background security checks.
D. WORKING CONDITIONS:
1. Environmental Parameters: Ability to work in an office environment. Ability to
travel to all Massport facilities as needed.
2. Physical Demands:
a. Strength: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, push,
pull, or otherwise move objects.
b. Type: Ability to perform administrative duties.
E. WORK SCHEDULE: Ability to work a 37.5-hour workweek. Ability to work additional
hours as necessary as work load demands.