MBLA activities are developed and managed by its standing Committees, which include the Community Service Committee, the Programs and Professional Development Committee, the Black Women In The Profession Subcommittee, the Student Support Committee, the Membership Development Committee, the External Affairs Committee, the Publications Subcommittee, the Social Media and Marketing Subcommittee, the Social Action Committee, the Judicial Appointment Committee, and the Finance Committee.
Community Service Committee & Social Action Committee
This committee encourages the involvement of the membership in volunteer legal services and community service activities and also encourages leadership, advocacy and empowerment of the MBLA membership and greater legal community to effect social change and public policy in the Commonwealth. Through this Committee, the MBLA hopes to establish its position on emerging or perennial public issues pertinent to the practice of law in the Commonwealth. The committee will implement programs that stimulate social action and educate members and the community on current social justice issues.
Co-Chairs: Bethany Serota, Lisa Conserve
Members: Kimberley Odums, Janeal Hoyte, Cristina Rodrigues
Programs and Professional Development Committee
This committee is responsible for planning and executing all programs geared to enhance the retention and advancement of attorneys of color in Massachusetts.
- The Black Women In The Profession (BWITP) Subcommittee works with the Professional Development Committee and external organizations to ensure Black women attorneys and law students have equal opportunities for professional growth and development in the Commonwealth. More specifically, this Subcommittee works to address the decline of Black female representation among law firm associate and partner ranks, both locally and nationally.
- The Beyond Boston Sub-Committee
This sub-committee will work with the Professional Development Committee and external organizations to ensure Black attorneys and law students have equal opportunities for professional growth and development throughout the Commonwealth, by making programming available outside Boston through direct and intentional programming and the use of technology, when available. More specifically, this Committee will work to address the need to increase the visibility and professional growth for attorneys who reside in other parts of the Commonwealth and are unable to easily access programming typically available in Boston.
Co-Chairs: Michael Kippins, Tiffanie Ellis Niles
Members: Kanasha S. Herbert, Carla Reeves, Laura Martin, Carla Jackson
Student Support Committee
This committee provides support to area law school students through mentorship and networking programs. This committee also oversees the MBLA scholarship award programs.
Chairs: D’Andre Fernandez
Members: Arianne Waldron, Tiffanie Ellis Niles, Charles Koech
Membership Development Committee
This committee is responsible for the development of the organization’s membership.
Chair: Avana Anderson, Arianne Waldron
Members: Laura Martin, Janeal Hoyte
External Affairs Committee
This committee facilitates MBLA partnerships with other similarly-missioned organizations locally, regionally, nationally and internationally. It works to improve the state-wide awareness of the MBLA through media, strategic collaborations with external organizations, and other appropriate mechanisms. Finally, it advises the MBLA Board of Directors (BOD), its Committees and partners and coordinates their external communication efforts on important current MBLA initiatives, programs and policy positions, if any.
- The MBLA Webmaster oversees the maintenance of the MBLA website.
- The Social Media and Marketing Subcommittee oversees the MBLA social media outlets (i.e., Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram) and works closely with Directors and MBLA consultants to appropriately market MBLA events and programs.
- The Publications Subcommittee serves as the primary literary body for the MBLA. It will assess editorial quality and content for any existing or new MBLA publications, including newsletters, position statements, online periodicals and the like. It will make recommendations to the BOD related to the needs and adequacy of the publications including the curtailment of ongoing efforts and the initiation of new efforts. This Committee will also advise the BOD on any relevant issues of copyright policy relevant to protecting the MBLA intellectual property.
Chair: Eron Hacksaw
Members: Courtney M. Person, Charles Koech, Stesha Emmanuel
This committee plans the logistics for the Annual MBLA Gala.
Chair: Stesha A. Emmanuel
Members: Kanasha Herbert, Asha White, Tiffanie Ellis Niles
This committee ensures compliance with applicable state and federal laws and maintains the organization’s tax-exempt status.
Chair: Cherina Wright
Members: Stesha Emmanuel, Kanasha Herbert, Asha White, D’Andre Fernandez