|Committee for Public Counsel Services|
|The Committee for Public Counsel Services (CPCS), the Massachusetts Public Defender agency, is seeking a full-time Training Chief for its Training Department. The Training Chief will be responsible for the management and oversight of all aspects of CPCS training, including the development of long range strategic plans, the delivery of high quality training to all staff and private assigned counsel, and the effective management of all agency training resources.
Description of Department
|Essential Duties and Responsibilities:|
|• Manage Training Department operations through staff supervision, development and implementation of policies, and allocation of financial and other resources. Conducts performance reviews of Training Directors.
• Work closely with the Division Heads to assure effective performance by Divisional training staff.
• Identify training needs for attorneys, both agency staff and panel members, and non-attorney agency staff, and create strategic plan to meet those needs. With respect to practice area specific training, ensure the delivery of training goals established by the Division Heads, with input from the Training Directors, for attorneys, social workers and investigators.
• Identify cross disciplinary training opportunities and coordinate such training to maximize the effective allocation of training resources.
• In collaboration with the managers who direct administrative departments, responsible for the design, delivery, coordination, and/or procurement of non-practice area specific training such as: employment law; diversity, cultural responsiveness and anti-racism; management; leadership; supervision; and technology; secondary trauma and mentor training, as well as onboarding new staff members.
• Within technology standards as determined by the IT Department, provision of technology support to ensure the effective creation of online training programs and the maintenance of easily accessible online training materials.
• Support the professional development of Training Unit staff and private bar trainers through development and implementation of train-the-trainer programs. Keep abreast of developments in adult learning and training modalities.
• Develop and manage agency training budget.
• Design and manage agency’s annual training conference for private assigned counsel and staff attorneys, social workers, Social Service Advocates and investigators.
• Maintain agency training calendar and manage CPCS internet and intranet Training Department pages.
• Authorize and provide for library purchases for all agency offices including online legal research contracts.
• Responsible for agency relationship regarding training related matters with outside vendors and bar associations, including coordination of training contracts and agreements.
|Minimum Qualifications and Skills:|
|• demonstrated commitment to high quality representation of indigent persons;
• minimum of 10 years’ experience as an attorney or trainer; minimum of 4 years’ experience as a manager or supervisor; legal degree or a master’s degree in a related or relevant field, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience;
• experience designing and delivering successful training programs which account for various adult learning styles;
• litigation experience is preferred as is experience in the following areas: training on management, supervision, diversity and cultural competence; delivery of distance training; strategic planning; developing and managing budgets; and negotiating contracts;
• strong organizational skills;
• excellent communication and collaboration skills;
• the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously; and
• the capacity to pay close attention to detail.To apply:
Applicants should submit their resume, and as a separate document, a description of the candidate’s training, supervisory, administrative, managerial, and, if applicable, legal experience.
Please apply by following this link: https://careers-publiccounsel.
The Committee for Public Counsel Services is an equal opportunity employer.
|Please see posting for required application materials.|
|Who should be contacted for further information on this opportunity?|