|Assistant General Counsel – Employment|
|UMass Memorial Health Care|
|Responsible for wide array of legal functions of large health care system including, but not limited to: providing independent legal advice on behalf of UMass Memorial Health Care and its affiliate corporations to administration and senior management, boards of trustees, physician leaders and operational staff with a focus on employment issues; employment related contracts; health care regulatory compliance; and overseeing outside counsel in employment related actions with federal and state agencies and before the courts.|
|Essential Duties and Responsibilities:|
|• Provide legal services primarily as a member of the Office of General Counsel’s Employment Practice Group, and potentially secondarily as a member of the Corporate/Business Practice Group.
• Provide legal counsel on various aspects of policy making within the organization. This may include, but is not limited to policies concerning human resources, business operations, compliance, and privacy matters.
• Provide legal counsel in the form of formal and informal memoranda, verbal consultations, meetings, and education sessions, working closely with clinical and business staff for operations input.
• Advise senior management, Board(s) of Trustees, Human Resources staff, managers and physicians on state, federal and other regulatory agency guidelines in matters relating to employment, operational and medical staff matters, and regulatory compliance.
• Along with the Practice Group Leader and General Counsel, collaborate with and oversee outside litigation counsel on agency and court proceedings, including but not limited to matters before the MCAD, EEOC, labor arbitrations and federal and state courts.
• Work with Compliance Department and business teams on arrangements with physicians and other providers to assure compliance with laws and regulations.
• Prepare legal documents that accurately reflect the organization’s rights, responsibilities and obligations and that are consistent with applicable legal requirements, and the organization’s philosophy, goals and objectives as defined by the business.
• In consultation with the General Counsel, determine when governmental or accrediting agency reporting, filings, or other action is required by the organization and participate in the review of such cases, as appropriate. Examples include responding to investigations by state/federal agencies such as Attorney General’s Office, DOL, CMS, State Board of Registration in Medicine, Department of Public Health, EEOC, and others.
• Support the business team with review, drafting and negotiation of contracts.
• Contribute to the articulation and development of legal advice and services. Provide leadership in the development and enhancement of systems, controls and procedures to support the provision of optimal quality care.
• Foster the effective integration of departmental goals and initiatives into the system-wide goals and initiatives.
|Minimum Qualifications and Skills:|
|• Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited law school.
• Admission to the Massachusetts state bar.
|Who should be contacted for further information on this opportunity?|