Investment Management Attorney and Manager
- Job Description
The position will provide designated legal advice, support and counsel to SSGA’s global product development, funds management, portfolio management and regulatory teams. This position will be a management role, with responsibility for directly supervising and managing one junior attorney at the outset, and the potential to manage additional attorneys and/or paralegals in the SSGA Legal Department going forward.
Primary responsibilities will include: (i) drafting and reviewing investment product disclosure documents, offering documents and services agreements; (ii) providing advice and counsel regarding global offering and marketing regulatory requirements; (iii) working with SSGA legal team members globally in connection with the creation, organization and offering of SSGA’s investment products, (iv) providing advice and counsel regarding corporate transactions, (v) overseeing the review of marketing materials related to SSgA’s investment products, and (vi) providing legal advice to SSGA’s portfolio management, operations, and trading teams. Responsibilities will also include generally advising SSGA in connection with its investment management business, including but not limited to, securities laws, commodity futures and derivatives trading regulations, banking regulations, ERISA and fiduciary issues. A strong understanding of investment strategies and investment products is required.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and skills
- 7-10 years of experience in investment management practice, at either a law firm or the legal department of a financial services company, preferably both.
- Prior experiencing directly managing the legal work of other attorneys and/or paralegals.
- JD from an accredited law school.
- License to practice in work location.
- Strong client service, communication (written and verbal) and collaboration skills.
- Strong research, time management, planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently but also thrive in a global, dynamic and team-oriented environment.
- Proven ability to interact with and advise multiple business units directly.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multitask.