TITLE: ASSISTANT VICE PRESIDENT & COUNSEL – DISTRIBUTION ATTORNEY
LOCATION: MASSMUTUAL, 1295 STATE STREET, SPRINGFIELD, MA 01111-0001
COMPANY MASSMUTUAL FINANCIAL GROUP
In the world of financial services, it’s all about working with an established, highly respected company based on demonstrated indications of quality and performance. Who you choose to work with matters. Consider Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company.
Founded in 1851, Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company is the center of the MassMutual Financial Group, a diversified financial services organization. Key subsidiaries include OppenheimerFunds, a leading mutual fund family; Babson Capital Management, a provider of investor services; and Cornerstone Real Estate Advisers, which offers real estate equities. MassMutual products are distributed through a nationwide network of trusted and knowledgeable financial professionals and third parties who think in terms of long-term commitment to meeting individual client’s needs. Since 1851, MassMutual has made business decisions based on customer needs. Our mutual structure, along with our long-term business approach, has helped keep us strong. This strength means we will be here when our customers need us most. Together, we help people secure their futures and protect the ones they love.
MassMutual has maintained some of the highest financial strength ratings in any industry, and is committed to maintaining a position of preeminent financial strength by achieving consistent, long-term profitable growth. In total, MassMutual’s worldwide insurance in-force was $579 billion at the end of 2014 and assets under management were $ 651 billion, its highest point in history. MassMutual is ranked 96 on the 2014 Fortune 500 list and was again honored by Working Mother magazine as one of its “100 Best Companies”. DiversityInc., for the fourth consecutive year has named MassMutual one of its “25 Noteworthy Companies” and for the first time as one of its “Top 10 Companies for LGBT Employees”. The Ethisphere Institute has named MassMutual a “2015 World’s Most Ethical Company”, the only mutual life insurer earning such recognition.
This attorney will be an integral part of MassMutual’s distribution law team, which is responsible for supporting the legal needs of the U.S. Insurance Group (USIG) sales and distribution organization. USIG Sales & Distribution offers both proprietary and nonproprietary insurance, investments and retirement products through a network of over 5,000 career agents, as well as brokers and third party distributors. Working closely with their business and compliance partners, attorneys in this practice group provide securities and insurance regulatory advice to officers, directors and employees of several company broker-dealers, investment advisers and insurance distribution organizations which conduct business in 50 states and Puerto Rico. Attorneys also support multiple initiatives to develop direct-to-consumer channels and data analytic tools. Section attorneys interact with federal, SRO and state regulators, actively participate in industry trade associations and provide technical support for Government Relations’ lobbying efforts.
Reports to: Robert Rosenthal, Vice President & Associate General Counsel
- Advising on regulatory and compliance matters impacting regulated entities and CAS
- Negotiating agreements
- Advising on retail investment advisory and broker-dealer product development
- Providing legal support to core retail business areas within MassMutual, including MML Investors Services, LLC. (MMLIS), a registered broker-dealer and investment adviser, and MassMutual’s Career Agency System (CAS). Such support may include, but is not limited to:
- Providing corporate governance support to MMLIS and other stand-alone businesses
- Providing key legal support to distribution, marketing and e-commerce initiatives
- Developing and delivering formal training
Developing and maintaining relationships with multiple regulatory contacts and industry groups
- Providing legal support for FINRA, SEC and state regulatory examinations.
- Providing technical support to the Company’s government relations team on legislative and regulatory insurance issues impacting the Company’s insurance products
- Advising on key business initiatives
- Proactively monitoring and advising on pending and current legislation and court and regulatory decisions
- Proactively identifying/recommending action steps to mitigate identified areas of legal risk
- Managing outside counsel
- Participating in internal investigations, as needed
- Developing and maintaining relationships across business areas
- Participating in projects and resolving problems are key components of this role
- JD from an accredited law school, a member of the Bar in good standing (any state), and the ability to become licensed for in-house practice in Massachusetts if not now licensed in Massachusetts.
- Demonstrated academic achievement.
- Six plus years in a top law firm, in-house law department, or regulatory agency dealing with broker-dealer matters, investment adviser issues and/or retail insurance distribution – ideal
- Expertise with the federal and state securities and insurance laws as well as FINRA rules
- Experience with direct-to-consumer, e-commerce and digital legal issues helpful
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, research and verbal and written communication skills
- Strong ethics and integrity are a must.
- Must be a self-starter who is business focused and conditioned to high pressure
- Must have very strong presentation skills
- Must be results focused, hardworking, hands on and creative
- Evidence of success in law school is considered important (either attendance at high tier school and/or strong performance)
Business Acumen: Demonstrates knowledge of the interdependencies of key business processes, functions and risks. Identifies and uses the key financial indicators necessary to measure business performance. Knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace. Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations, and needs.
Engage and Inspire
|Critically and logically evaluates the costs, risks, and benefits of alternatives before coming to a solution. Probes and looks past symptoms to determine the underlying causes of problems and issues. Approaches problems holistically, defines connections, linkages, interdependencies and develops solutions. Takes ownership of problems and stays on top of them until resolved
Makes quick decisions in high stakes situations, crises, or conditions of uncertainty. Critically and logically evaluates the consequences and implications of alternatives, actions, or decisions.
Encourages others to set challenging goals and high standards of performance. Fosters a sense of energy, ownership, and personal commitment to the work. Creates an environment in which performance excellence is rewarded.
Advocates for needed change across the organization that add to our success. Ensures the implementation of change with appropriate communications, goals, resources, metrics and reviews. Takes ownership and personal responsibility for implementing change despite opposition or barriers
Ability to engage in and model courageous and constructive dialogue; confidence to offer a new and potentially challenging idea to foster conversation and critical thinking; ability to successfully deliver difficult and/or complex messages and help others understand multiple points of views.
- Focus on the Customer – Know your customers well; add value with a level of urgency.
- Act with Integrity- Adhere to a strict code of ethics and MassMutual Values; be trustworthy.
- Value People – Lead people to success; appreciate diverse ideas and experiences.
- Work Collaboratively – Partner with others to achieve results that leverage the right resources.
- Achieve Results – Focus on winning; consistently exceed expectations.
We pay competitive base salaries and we reward performance. Our salary structure is commensurate with experience. In addition, you will be eligible to participate in our comprehensive benefits program including medical insurance and 401(K).
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES ONLY please send resume to:
Katherine Cooke AVP Executive Recruiting firstname.lastname@example.org