MASSMUTUAL FINANCIAL GROUP
1295 STATE STREET
SPRINGFIELD, MA 01111-0001
Chartered in 1851, Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (“MassMutual” or the “Company”) is a
leading mutual life insurance company that is run for the benefit of its members and participating
policyholders. The Company has a long history of financial strength and strong performance, paying
dividends to eligible participating policyholders every year since the 1860s. MassMutual is headquartered in
Springfield, Massachusetts and its major subsidiaries include OppenheimerFunds, Inc., Babson Capital
Management LLC, Cornerstone Real Estate Advisers LLC, Baring Asset Management Limited and First
Mercantile Trust Company. MassMutual Financial Group (“MMFG”) is a marketing name for Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance
Company and its affiliated companies and sales representatives. MMFG is a global, diversified financial
services organization providing life insurance, disability income insurance, long term care insurance,
retirement/401(k) plan services, annuities, investment management, mutual funds and trust services to
individual and institutional investors. With whole life insurance as its foundation, the company’s strong and
growing network of financial professionals helps clients make good financial decisions for the long-term.
MassMutual, or its subsidiaries, also have operations in Asia, Europe and Latin America.
MassMutual has maintained some of the highest financial strength ratings in any industry, and is committed
to maintaining a position of preeminent financial strength by achieving consistent, long-term profitable
growth. In total, MassMutual’s worldwide insurance in-force was $503.7 billion at the end of 2011, and
assets under management were $443 billion. Premium and other deposits totaled $22.9 billion for 2011.
MassMutual is ranked 121 on the 2012 Fortune 500 list and was also named one of Fortunes “Most
This is an excellent opportunity in MassMutual’s Law Department to work with a fast growing investment
management team that is responsible for $100 billion of assets. This attorney will be an integral part of the
corporate law team, which is responsible for the legal needs of MassMutual’s corporate units. This attorney
will interact with MassMutual’s Chief Investment Officer and a sophisticated team of investment
professionals on various legal, regulatory and corporate governance matters relating to MassMutual’s
general investment account. This attorney will be responsible for negotiating, documenting and closing
various debt and equity transactions, with a particular focus on privately negotiated transactions and
alternative investments. In addition, this attorney will work closely with the investment management team as
it considers and conducts due diligence on potential investment advisers.
Reports to: Dominic Blue, Vice President and Assistant General Counsel
- Provide strategic, regulatory and transactional legal support to the investment management and
enterprise risk management groups.
- Assist investment management team structure, negotiate, document, and close investment
- Assist with due diligence review of potential investments and advise on potential risk relating to the
- Advise on investment restrictions and disclosure obligations under various insurance laws.
- Negotiate, review and draft investment management agreements for MassMutual’s investment
- Advise on various internal investment policies and charter documents governing MassMutual’s
- Review, negotiate and comment on private equity and hedge fund investment documents.
- Advise on various forms of derivative transactions, including replications.
- Assist with M&A transactions.
- Manage outside counsel.
- JD from an accredited law school, a member of the Bar in good standing (any state), and the ability
to become licensed for in-house practice in Massachusetts if not now licensed in Massachusetts.
- Demonstrated academic achievement.
- In-depth understanding and experience (6+ years) working on alternative investments, private
equity or hedge fund transactions, or derivative transactions.
- M&A deal experience preferred.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, research and verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong client relationship skills and the ability to consult with all levels of management.
- Must be a self-starter who is business focused and conditioned to high pressure from a fast-paced
- Must be results focused, hard-working, hands on and creative.
- Large law firm or Fortune 500 Corporate Law Department experience is preferred.
Communication Successfully delivers difficult and/or complex messages. Communicates in a
confident style that commands the attention of others. Helps others understand
multiple points of view. Adapts and changes tactics to move an audience to a
point of view or conclusion.
Critically and logically evaluates the costs, risks, and benefits of alternatives
before coming to a solution. Probes and looks past symptoms to determine the
underlying causes of problems and issues. Approaches problems holistically;
defines connections, linkages, interdependencies and develops solutions.
Takes ownership of problems and stays on top of them until resolved
Makes quick decisions in high stakes situations, crises, or conditions of
uncertainty. Critically and logically evaluates the consequences and
implications of alternatives, actions, or decisions.
Engage and Inspire Encourages others to set challenging goals and high standards of performance.
Fosters a sense of energy, ownership, and personal commitment to the work.
Creates an environment in which performance excellence is rewarded.
Advocates for needed change across the organization that add to our success.
Ensures the implementation of change with appropriate communications, goals,
resources, metrics and reviews. Takes ownership and personal responsibility
for implementing change despite opposition or barriers
We pay competitive base salaries and we reward performance. Our salary structure is commensurate with
experience and is in line with the Hartford legal community. In addition, you will be eligible to participate in
our comprehensive benefits program including medical insurance and 401(K).
Kathy McCormack-Batterson Lisa Sweet
(413) 744-3442 (413) 744-8654