POSITION TITLE: Associate Counsel For HR Use Only
DIVISION: Legal Job Code:
REPORTS TO (Position Title): Associate General Counsel Grade:
DATE: February 2014 FLSA:
Responsible for legal matters related to Putnam’s family of mutual funds. This will include review of registration statements, prospectuses, proxy statements, and other regulatory filings; analysis of investment, marketing and operational compliance issues related to the funds; and merging and/or creation of new funds. Other assignments as necessary. JD required and prior experience with the Investment Company Act of 1940 and Investment Advisers Act.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: % Time
1. Serve as fund attorney responsible for reviewing prospectuses, shareholder reports and other regulatory filings for Putnam funds. Develop compliant disclosures for use in fund literature and filings. Provide legal advice and consult on business questions related to investment, marketing and operational compliance issues.
2. Develop and maintain strong working relationships with internal (Putnam Retail Management, Investment Division, Putnam Investor Services) and external business partners (outside fund counsel, Board of Trustees).
3. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of all relevant aspects of securities law, regulations, and interpretive positions (SEC, FINRA, CFTC).
The preceding Position Description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Indicate the level of education TYPICALLY required for the job and area of concentration.
MINIMUM PRIOR RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE TYPICALLY REQUIRED: Indicate the amount of prior RELATED work experience TYPCIALLY required to fulfill the responsibilities of the job.
1 to 5 years
ESSENTIAL SKILLS REQUIRED: In order of importance, list skills or talents which a qualified incumbent should possess (e.g., computer literacy, subject knowledge, etc.).
1. Strong knowledge of mutual fund disclosure and regulatory requirements
2. Strong oral and written communication skills for both legal and non-legal audiences
3. Strong drafting skills (including legal disclosures)
4. Demonstrated ability to solve problems and improve processes
5. Computer literate
AVAILABLE SKILLS SET TRAINING:
1. Various Putnam Professional Skills Training Courses
2. Putnam’s Mentor Program
TYPICAL CAREER OPPORTUNITIES POSSIBLE WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION:
Counsel Managerial roles within Compliance