TITLE: AVP & COUNSEL, INSURANCE PRODUCT ATTORNEY
1295 STATE STREET
SPRINGFIELD, MA 01111
COMPANY MASSMUTUAL FINANCIAL GROUP
In the world of financial services, it’s all about working with an established, highly respected company based on demonstrated indications of quality and performance. Who you choose to work with matters. Consider Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company
Founded in 1851, Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company is the center of the MassMutual Financial Group, a diversified financial services organization. Key subsidiaries include OppenheimerFunds, a leading mutual fund family; Babson Capital Management, a provider of investor services; and Cornerstone Real Estate Advisers, which offers real estate equities. MassMutual products are distributed through a nationwide network of trusted and knowledgeable financial professionals and third parties who think in terms of long-term commitment to meeting individual client’s needs. Since 1851, MassMutual has made business decisions based on customer needs. Our mutual structure, along with our long-term business approach, has helped keep us strong. This strength means we will be here when our customers need us most. Together, we help people secure their futures and protect the ones they love.
MassMutual has maintained some of the highest financial strength ratings in any industry, and is committed to maintaining a position of preeminent financial strength by achieving consistent, long-term profitable growth. In total, MassMutual’s worldwide insurance in-force was $579 billion at the end of 2014 and assets under management were $ 651 billion, its highest point in history. MassMutual is ranked 96 on the 2014 Fortune 500 list and was again honored by Working Mother magazine as one of its “100 Best Companies”. DiversityInc., for the fourth consecutive year has named MassMutual one of its “25 Noteworthy Companies” and for the first time as one of its “Top 10 Companies for LGBT Employees”. The Ethisphere Institute has named MassMutual a “2015 World’s Most Ethical Company”, the only mutual life insurer earning such recognition.
This attorney will be an integral part of MassMutual’s insurance product law team, which is responsible for supporting the legal needs of MassMutual’s U.S. Insurance and Worksite insurance businesses. As an industry leader, MassMutual offers an extensive portfolio of insurance and annuity products. These products include individual and group life insurance, corporate and bank-owned life insurance, variable life insurance and annuities, fixed annuities, disability and, long-term care insurance. Working closely with their business and compliance partners in MassMutual’s U.S. Insurance and Worksite Insurance Groups, attorneys in this section, provide advice on state insurance, ERISA and federal securities laws pertaining to the drafting of insurance and annuity contracts, prospectuses and other disclosure documents, product marketing and the complex process of contract administration. These attorneys also interact with state and federal regulators, actively participate in industry trade associations and provide technical support for Government Relations’ lobbying efforts.
Reports to: John Deitelbaum, Senior Vice President and Deputy General Counsel
Other Relationships: U.S. Insurance and Worksite Insurance
Providing legal support to USIG and Worksite Insurance business partners with respect to the development, marketing and administration of MassMutual’s insurance products. This support may include, but is not limited to:
- Participating in the development of new insurance products, including the drafting of insurance contracts and related forms.
- Reviewing product marketing, training and other disclosure documents to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Advising on day-to-day issues related to the complex process of insurance contract administration
- Utilizing legal expertise and in-depth knowledge of the Company’s business and products to develop creative legal solutions that support and advance the clients’ business objectives.
- Providing legal support for state insurance market conduct examinations
- Provide technical support to the Company’s government relations team on legislative and regulatory insurance issues impacting the Company’s insurance products.
- Proactively monitoring and advising on pending and current legislation and court and regulatory decisions;
- Proactively identifying/recommending action steps to mitigate identified areas of legal risk.
- Managing outside counsel.
- JD from an accredited law school, a member of the Bar in good standing (any state), and the ability to become licensed for in-house practice in Massachusetts if not now licensed in Massachusetts.
- Demonstrated academic achievement.
- Six plus years in top law firm, regulatory agency or Fortune 500 Corporate Law Department is preferred.
- Experience working on a wide variety of state insurance regulatory issues pertaining to individual and/or group life and disability insurance products strongly preferred. Experience with ERISA and federal securities laws pertaining to insurance products helpful but not required.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, research and verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong client relationship skills and the ability to consult with all levels of management.
- Must be a self-starter who is business focused and conditioned to high pressure from a fast-paced environment.
- Must be results focused, hard-working, hands on and creative.
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS:
|Business Acumen||Demonstrates knowledge of the interdependencies of key business processes, functions and risks. Identifies and uses the key financial indicators necessary to measure business performance. Knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace. Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations, and needs.
|Critically and logically evaluates the costs, risks, and benefits of alternatives before coming to a solution. Probes and looks past symptoms to determine the underlying causes of problems and issues. Approaches problems holistically; defines connections, linkages, interdependencies and develops solutions. Takes ownership of problems and stays on top of them until resolved
Makes quick decisions in high stakes situations, crises, or conditions of uncertainty. Critically and logically evaluates the consequences and implications of alternatives, actions, or decisions.
|Engage and Inspire||Encourages others to set challenging goals and high standards of performance. Fosters a sense of energy, ownership, and personal commitment to the work. Creates an environment in which performance excellence is rewarded.
|Advocates for needed change across the organization that add to our success. Ensures the implementation of change with appropriate communications, goals, resources, metrics and reviews. Takes ownership and personal responsibility for implementing change despite opposition or barriers
|Communication||Ability to engage in and model courageous and constructive dialogue; confidence to offer a new and potentially challenging idea to foster conversation and critical thinking; ability to successfully deliver difficult and/or complex messages and help others understand multiple points of views
- Focus on the Customer – Know your customers well; add value with a level of urgency.
- Act with Integrity- Adhere to a strict code of ethics and MassMutual Values; be trustworthy.
- Value People – Lead people to success; appreciate diverse ideas and experiences.
- Work Collaboratively – Partner with others to achieve results that leverage the right resources.
- Achieve Results – Focus on winning; consistently exceed expectations.
We pay competitive base salaries and we reward performance. Our salary structure is commensurate with experience and is in line with the Hartford legal community. In addition, you will be eligible to participate in our comprehensive benefits program including medical insurance and 401(K).
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES ONLY please send resume to:
Katherine Cooke AVP Executive Recruiting email@example.com