STAFF ATTORNEY LEGAL ADVOCACY PROGRAM
DOVE, Inc. (Domestic Violence Ended) was founded in 1978 by the Quincy Mayor’s Commission on Women and a group of committed community volunteers. Since 1978, DOVE has grown from one crisis hotline to a comprehensive multi-services organization. DOVE provides a range of services for adults who have been abused – physically and sexually as well as emotionally and financially. These services include: crisis intervention; safety assessment and planning; supportive counseling, advocacy, and case management; emergency shelter; legal services; educational and support groups; and community outreach and education. DOVE is the only domestic violence shelter and community-based service provider based in Norfolk County, and also serves the greater South Shore. The Legal Advocacy Program has been in existence since DOVE’s inception.
DOVE is committed to partnering with diverse communities, families, and individuals impacted by domestic violence. We promote hope, healing, safety, and social change by providing a broad range of preventive and responsive services.
Job Purpose: The Staff Attorney is responsible for providing representation, information, pro se assistance, brief advice and services, and referrals to victims of domestic violence seeking legal assistance. She/he/they is/are also responsible for assisting the LAP Manager in outreach to and relationship-building with the legal community, facilitating legal trainings, and contributing to grant writing and reporting.
Reporting Responsibilities: The Staff Attorney reports to the Director of the Legal Advocacy Program.
- Provide legal representation to victims of domestic violence in 209A extension hearings.
- Provide limited assisted representation to victims of domestic violence in emergency family lawhearings.
- Provide on-site legal services at Quincy District Court 1 day a week.
- Provide on-site legal services at Norfolk Probate and Family Court 1 day a week.
- Assist the Economic Justice Coordinator with housing and benefits matters.
- Assist the Senior Immigration Attorney with DV-related immigration filings.
- Provide pro se assistance, including meeting with clients to assist in filing complaints, motions,and other court paperwork needed for family law cases.
- Provide brief advice and services, including safety planning to callers on the Legal Helpline.
- Help identify pro bono or reduced-fee legal representation in civil family law matters and/orrestraining order cases.
- Conduct outreach to the legal community by attending meetings and roundtables with legalprofessionals.
- Provide consultation to DOVE’s non-lawyer advocates.
- Assist LAP Manager and Senior Staff Attorney to facilitate legal trainings and participate inplanning trainings.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Bilingual (Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Mandarin, Cantonese, Hindi, Vietnamese, or Spanish and English) strongly preferred.
- Ability to work independently and to effectively multi-task.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational and computer skills.
- A strong work ethic and sense of initiative. Someone who leads by example and can work effectivelyand collaboratively in a small, creative, and resourceful non-profit setting.
- Positive approach, can-do attitude, flexibility, sense of humor, and grace under pressure.
- Ability to model and uphold appropriate professional boundaries in work with clients, co-workers, supervisor, and community.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work with diverse populations including, but not limited to,non-English speaking families, undocumented clients, and survivors who identify as LGBQ/T (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Queer and/or Transgender) and to learn about and actively use multicultural awareness and understanding in daily work.
- Valid MA driver’s license, reliable transportation, and willingness to travel regularly within DOVE’s service area required.
- Must be committed to DOVE’s mission and practice philosophies, to ending violence and oppression, to using empowerment practice, and to promoting social justice and social change.
- Must provide documentation of 35 hours of domestic violence training upon hire, or complete DOVE’s 35-hour Domestic Violence training within 1st year of hire.Education & Experience:
- J.D. and licensed to practice in Massachusetts.
- At least one year of providing legal advocacy services to survivors of domestic violence.CORI check required upon offer of hire.
Work Schedule: Full-time exempt position, generally weekdays. The LAP Staff Attorney will be required to work at other times periodically (occasional evening, weekend, and very occasional holiday hours) to conduct presentations or groups, facilitate meetings, and/or attend trainings.
- Position is exempt and salaried; FTE annual range = $50,000-$55,000 depending on experience.
- Additional compensation is provided for demonstrated, proficient language skills preferred inDOVE’s catchment area; $1,500 gross annual per 40 hr FTE or .72/hr for 1st language. Additional compensation of $1,000 gross annual per 40 hr. FTE for 2nd or more language/s in addition to English, including Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Mandarin, Cantonese, Hindi, Vietnamese, and/or Spanish.
Benefits: DOVE is committed to working for social and economic justice, working with engaged and dedicated colleagues, and providing and ensuring training and education in best practices as well as professional development opportunities. As an organization we hold openness to innovation, and we seek the opportunity and resources to do meaningful, impactful work.
Benefits consistent with personnel policy:
- Paid time off: Vacation (2 weeks in Year 1, increases at Year 2), Personal Days (3 days/year),Sick time (12 days/year), and 12 Holidays
- Insurance coverage (Health/Dental, Short-Term Disability, and Life).This position is supported by and dependent on grant funds.
To apply, send cover letter specifically for this position and a resume to:
- Christy Rodriguez, Esq. Director, Legal Advocacy Program, at email@example.com
- Applications will be accepted until 5:00pm Friday, July 13, 2018.
- Applications or resumes without a cover letter expressing interest in employment at DOVE will not
For more information on DOVE, see our website: www.dovema.org
Posted June 15, 2018
|Who should be contacted for further information on this opportunity?|