Recognizing the challenges that many junior to mid-level attorneys face when they attempt to transition from a specialty legal field to an in-house legal department of a bank or investment adviser, and consistent with its commitment to develop a diverse and inclusive workforce, State Street has established a pilot program to create three VP/Counsel positions for attorneys who may not have financial services industry experience, but who are eager to learn and gain experience in the financial services industry through an extended integration and orientation phase. In addition, these attorneys should have otherwise demonstrated excellence in analytical and communication skills, both written and verbal, have at least 3-4 years of experience in other legal areas, have demonstrated the ability to establish close working relationships with clients, exercise sound business and legal judgment and produce high quality work with general to minimal supervision. These attorneys would be assigned to and trained by one or more of State Street’s many Legal teams supporting its Corporate, Global Services, Global Markets or Global Advisors business lines and may be considered for permanent placement in one of these legal teams.
The following are specific attributes of the positions:
- Demonstrates high level of quality, integrity and professionalism.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Capable of independent analysis and issue identification.
- Exercises considerable sound business and legal judgment.
- Works collegially with other department members and is respectful of other department members.
- Possesses strong time management skills. Handles multiple tasks and multiple priorities for various clients.
- Establishes close working relationships with clients and provides excellent service to clients.
- Brings issues with potential liability to State Street to the attention of senior management.
- Demonstrates good organizational skills and independent follow through on issues and tasks.
- Capable of producing high quality routine work with general to minimal supervision.
J.D. from accredited law school and Bar admission required. Minimum 3 years law firm experience and/or equivalent legal experience required. Demonstrated expertise in corporate/securities, derivatives, secured lending, transactional, UCC or Investment Company Act areas a plus, but not mandatory.
To apply to, or for questions about, this program, please contact:
Mary Moran Zeven, Senior Vice President and Senior Managing Counsel
State Street | Legal Division | One Lincoln Street, SFC21, Boston, MA 02110
P +1 617 662 1783 | F +1 617 662 2919 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Jamie C. Whitney, Senior Vice President and Senior Managing Counsel
State Street | IMS Legal | Two Copley Place, 100 Huntington Avenue, Boston MA 02116
P +1 617 664 7788 | F +1 617 310 5848 | email@example.com