Volunteer Lawyers Project of the Boston Bar Association
99 Chauncy Street, Suite 400, Boston MA 02111
LEGAL SERVICES/PRO BONO PROGRAM SEEKS ATTORNEY
Volunteer Lawyers Project of the Boston Bar Association (VLP) seeks an attorney with one to five years experience to provide support to its pro bono panel and carry a caseload. VLP represents low-income people in the Greater Boston area on a variety of civil legal problems, including housing, unemployment benefits, consumer/bankruptcy, family and guardianship law. Most cases are referred to members of the pro bono panel, with VLP providing training and ongoing support. Other clients are advised or represented by members of the VLP staff.
- Develop expertise in family and guardianship law
- Train and mentor the pro bono panel
- Assist with recruitment of volunteer attorneys through outreach to lawyers, law firms and bar associations
- Supervise paralegals and law students as assigned
- Provide direct representation to clients, including representing clients in court
- Assist in the staffing of court based programs
- Legal experience in either family law or guardianship law
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income clients
- Excellent communication skills and computer literacy
- Fluency in Spanish, Portuguese, Cape Verdean Creole, Haitian Creole, Mandarin, Cantonese or Vietnamese strongly preferred
- Admitted to the Bar in Massachusetts
VLP offers a supportive workplace with many opportunities to learn. VLP has a legal services salary scale and a generous benefits package. An attorney with one year of experience starts at $52,000; an attorney with three years of experience starts at $55,000.
Please send resume and cover letter to Martha Williams, Financial Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org.
VLP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, people of color, bi-cultural individuals, and persons with disabilities to apply.
POSTED OCTOBER 1, 2013. OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
PREFERENCE TO APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY OCTOBER 18, 2013.