Mergers & Acquisitions Legal Team
Pratt & Whitney
A United Technologies Corporation
East Hartford, Connecticut
United Technologies Corporation (UTC) is a family of four multinational companies that provide the finest high technology products and services to customers in the aerospace and building systems industries worldwide (NYSE:UTX). The parent corporation’s headquarters is in Hartford, Connecticut and its 2013 revenues exceeded $62 billion. UTC is ranked as the 50th largest US corporation (2013, Fortune) and the 23rd largest US manufacturer (2013, Industry Week.) The corporation has been named the No. 2 “Most Admired” company in the aerospace and defense industry (2013, Fortune) and listed as one of the “Best Managed Big Companies in America” by Forbes every year since 1999. Barron’s has included UTC in its list of the World’s Most Respected Companies (2012). United Technologies has also been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes for 12 straight years and has been ranked in Thomson Reuters Top 100 Global Innovators in the transportation equipment industry (2013). UTC companies do business in approximately 180 countries with more than 4000 company locations in 71 countries.
United Technologies is made up of world-leading businesses with rich histories of technological pioneering. Their best-known businesses are:
- Pratt & Whitney – P&W sets the industry standard in the manufacture and service of jet engines for the commercial and government markets.
- Sikorsky Aircraft – the world’s leading helicopter manufacturer.
- UTC Aerospace Systems – In 2012, UTC Aerospace Systems was formed by combining two industry leaders, UTC’s Hamilton Sundstrand and the Goodrich Corporation to become one of the world’s largest suppliers of technologically advanced systems and components for commercial, regional, business and military aircraft, helicopters and other platforms. The corporation is also a major supplier to international space programs.
- UTC Building & Industrial Systems is the world’s largest provider of building technologies. Its elevator, escalator, fire safety, security, building automation, heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration systems and services promote integrated, high performance buildings that are safer, smarter and sustainable. UTC Building & Industrial Systems was formed in 2013 by combining two existing UTC businesses: Otis Elevator Company and UTC Climate Controls & Security.
- United Technologies Research Center – The United Technologies Research Center (UTRC) is a world-renowned research and development facility supporting UTC businesses and government initiatives by delivering elegant solutions to some of the world’s most challenging technical issues.UTC’s businesses built the world’s first working helicopter, invented elevators and air conditioning, developed the first commercially available hydrogen fuel cells and designed complete life support systems for the Space Shuttle. The corporation’s jet engines power over 50 percent of the world’s commercial airliners and their aviation systems can be found on more than 90 percent of the world’s aircraft. Pratt & Whitney was founded in Hartford, Conn., in 1925 by Frederick Rentschler. Pratt & Whitney’s ﬁrst aircraft engine was the 410-horsepower, air-cooled Wasp, which delivered unprecedented performance and reliability for the time and transformed the aviation industry. Pratt & Whitney has been powering change ever since. Pratt & Whitney’s major businesses are:Military Engines: Pratt & Whitney builds and services engines for front line fighters, like the F-15 Eagle, F-16 Fighting Falcon, F-22 Raptor and F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, as well as the C-17 Globemaster III military transport. Pratt’s Military Engine business currently has more than 11,000 engines in service with 27 armed forces worldwide.Pratt & Whitney is developing game changing technologies for the future, such as the PurePower® PW1000G engine, with patented Geared Turbofan(TM) technology, for next generation of passenger aircraft and hypersonic propulsion systems for aircraft that will travel more than six times the speed of sound. Through Pratt & Whitney Global Service Partners, Pratt & Whitney is also developing innovative overhaul, maintenance, repair and spare parts services and support that will exceed customer expectations around the globe.
- In general, the legal career at Pratt & Whitney/UTC is unmatched by other corporations for the following reasons:
Distinguishing Career Factors
- The person who would be the right fit for this career opportunity must have experience handling strategic mergers, acquisitions, divestiture and joint venture transactions and possess significant levels of responsibility in running assigned deals. Also important is possessing the interpersonal skills and business acumen necessary to provide legal counsel to a sophisticated management team within a growing, complex and fast-paced business. This candidate should be energetic and a self-starter – and be someone seeking a visible role in helping to shape business goals and strategies. This person must be dedicated to working in a team environment and have strong analytical, interpersonal, organizational, and written/oral communication skills. He or she must be business-focused and detail-oriented, and have impeccable ethics and integrity.
THE RIGHT FIT
- For more information about Pratt & Whitney, please refer to: www.pratt-whitney.com.
- As an attorney at P&W, the successful candidate will play a pivotal role as a member of a highly qualified business team in developing and working through key business strategy and initiatives. In general, attorneys at UTC are challenged to develop legal solutions that will facilitate the corporation’s growth worldwide. This attorney’s ability to work closely and effectively with senior management, to win their confidence and to cause them to seek out his or her advice is critical to success in a career with UTC.
- The Pratt & Whitney Legal Department is comprised of approximately 55 attorneys in total. This person will join Pratt’s Mergers & Acquisitions legal team that is composed of this position plus 3 other attorneys, one environmental, health & safety specialist and paralegal support staff. This attorney will report to the VP & Counsel, Business Development and act as the lead counsel on assigned merger, acquisition, divestiture and international joint venture transactions that Pratt & Whitney pursues worldwide to support the strategic growth of its businesses. This attorney will play a pivotal role in these business initiatives from the initial planning phases to the structuring, negotiating and closing of these transactions, including the drafting of key agreements. This attorney will provide advice on the competitive landscape and regulatory impacts, and participate in business strategy reviews and management briefings. The position requires that an attorney work closely and effectively in a team environment with senior business, legal and technical professionals within Pratt & Whitney and at the UTC Corporate Headquarters.
- The Kilman Advisory Group has been retained to conduct a search for a skilled attorney qualified to join the United Technologies Legal Department to counsel the Business Development efforts for Pratt & Whitney’s global businesses. Pratt & Whitney is the legacy of the UTC and remains the single largest P&L business unit at UTC.
- For further information about Pratt & Whitney, please visit: www.pw.utc.com
- Pratt & Whitney Canada: Pratt & Whitney Canada has produced more than 73,000 engines which power corporate jets, regional aircraft and helicopters around the globe for more than 10,000 operators in 198 countries.
- Commercial Engines: Pratt & Whitney’s large commercial engines unit is Pratt’s largest business segment and the legacy of the corporation. At present, more than 30 percent of the world’s passenger aircraft fleet is powered by Pratt’s large commercial engines. The company continues to develop market leading new engines as well as work with its partners in the International Aero Engines and Engine Alliance joint ventures to meet airline customers’ future needs.
- Pratt & Whitney (P&W) is a world leader in the design, manufacture and service of aircraft engines. The company’s 31,700 employees support more than 11,000 customers in 198 countries around the world. Pratt & Whitney reported revenues of $14.5 billion in 2013.
ABOUT PRATT & WHITNEY
- For further information about United Technologies and its business operations, please visit: www.utc.com
- Over the long term, attorneys can pursue growth positions with any of UTC’s legal units. Few, if any, legal organizations are able to offer the wide range of challenging opportunities and benefits that this multinational corporation is known to provide.
- The decentralized business structure of UTC is mirrored by the organization of the UTC Legal Department. UTC believes that its attorneys should be located with the businesses they serve to promote early and efficient legal direction and assistance. UTC currently employs approximately 300 attorneys around the world.
- Given UTC’s unsurpassed reputation for innovative thinking and the pioneering of new technologies and business practices, it follows that UTC is highly committed to the on-going development of its lawyers. The corporation believes that the best workforce is one that is continually challenged with “cutting edge” business, legal and technical issues. UTC’s attorneys are given the means to sharpen and expand their abilities as global business lawyers. Programs of formal and informal training in both legal and business management skills are continually being developed and refined for the advancement of the corporation’s US and non-US attorneys.
- Lawyers play a very visible and pivotal role in the management team of all UTC businesses. Business-oriented planning, counseling and decision-making are as integral a part of each attorney’s responsibilities as is legal counseling.
- Each of UTC’s five major business units is a global leader in its respective industry. Attorneys fulfill a direct role in spearheading the growth of these businesses worldwide.
- An attorney can pursue growth opportunities with any of UTC’s businesses, for which he or she is interested, over the course of his or her career. Some attorneys have even moved into business careers within UTC when that has become their interest.
- The corporation offers a sophisticated, global business-lawyering environment with the benefits of a more balanced lifestyle.
- Compensation and benefits are attractive for the career-minded individual.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE DESIREDThe successful candidates should possess the following preparatory and professional experience:
- Solid academic credentials from law schools of quality and membership in a US state bar.
- Approximately 5+ years’ experience as an attorney in a sophisticated M&A legal practice.
- Strong legal reasoning, writing and advocacy skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills that will cause the attorney’s counsel to be sought and followed.
- A pro-active and energetic approach that ensures that the corporation’s business and legal risks are being anticipated and responded to effectively.
- Professional maturity and impeccable ethics and integrity.
- Business orientation and a strong interest in working as part of a high-technology driven business/manufacturing environment.
- Ability to relocate to Connecticut – if necessary.
- Ability to travel, as might be necessary. This travel can be approximately 15% – 35% of an attorney’s time annually, depending upon the nature and challenges of the specific deals being considered.
For further information, please contact: