|Assistant General Counsel – Litigator
|Blue Cross Blue Shield Massachusetts
|Blue Cross Blue Shield Massachusetts is seeking an experienced litigator to join its fast-paced and collegial in-house legal department. The attorney is responsible for representing the Company in both federal and state courts as well as administrative hearings concerning a wide variety of legal actions, including ERISA claims, contract disputes, Chapter 93A claims, and bankruptcy matters. The litigator will work closely with business colleagues in a variety of business areas within BCBSMA to fulfill the litigation role and to effectuate corporate goals.
|Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
|• Handle complex litigation matters including claims related to the denial of benefits, provider reimbursement issues, and coordination of benefits
• Effectively collaborate with outside counsel in a variety of litigation-related matters
• Appear on behalf of BCBSMA in civil and criminal courts
• Represent BCBSMA in interactions with regulatory agencies and in responding to investigations, often involving subpoenas or civil investigatory demands
• Provide pre-litigation and risk management advice to business regarding contracting issues and benefit descriptions
• Support BCBSMA business initiatives by providing guidance and judgment regarding complex and evolving legal environment.
• Collaborate with business leaders by effectively communicating complex legal principles to determine relevance to business areas and potential solutions to identified issues.
|Minimum Qualifications and Skills:
|• Demonstrated experience litigating matters in court and before administrative agencies.
• Excellent presentation skills, including the ability to persuasively present cases to senior management, peer review committees, or government officials.
• Ability to negotiate with and influence third parties in a constructive manner.
• Skill to solve problems independently accompanied by willingness to work as a team member.
• Excellent business acumen and judgment, including ability to place legal risk in proper business context.
• Ability to collaborate effectively with leaders and associates in key business areas.
• Ability to influence peers and leaders at all levels.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Strong organizational and prioritization skills; ability to manage multiple priorities effectively
• JD degree from ABA-accredited law school. Active member in good standing of the Massachusetts Bar
• Six or more years of complex litigation experience, preferably related to healthcare and/or white-collar law
• Experience in ERISA law strongly preferred
|Who should be contacted for further information on this opportunity?