Assistant Senate Counsel for Employment Matters – Office of Senate Counsel
POSTED OCT 04 2018
REPORTS TO: Jennifer Grace Miller, Senate Counsel
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: This full-time position provides legal support and advice on employment matters for the Senate, reporting to the Senate Counsel. In addition, the successful candidate will support the Office of Senate Counsel’s traditional function of reviewing legislation to ensure that it is correctly drawn. Specifically, the Assistant Senate Counsel will be required to:
- Provide legal advice on all aspects of employment law, ensuring that the Senate’s human resources policies meet and exceed accepted best practices
- Provide legal support to the Senate Office of Human Resources, working closely with the Director
- Negotiate, review and advise on Senate employment contracts
- Support employment-related compliance programs and trainings
- Answer questions about the form, substance and legality of bills
- Review and comment on draft bills
- Draft legislation, particularly on employment-related topics
HOURS: M-F, full-time
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: The work of the Senate Counsel’s office can be fast-paced and employment matters are among the most sensitive work of the office. Therefore, the successful applicant will be highly motived, organized and professional, with at least five years of employment law or human resources experience. A J.D. and admission to the Massachusetts Bar are required. Experience in the public sector is a plus.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience.
Inquiries regarding position and status may be made to:
Kathleen Hardaway, Executive Assistant
This Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Office actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workforce.