Casa Myrna is Greater Boston’s foremost provider of solutions to end domestic and dating violence. The agency maintains three residential programs in Boston for women and children made homeless by domestic violence, a comprehensive range of supportive services provided at the programs and at the main office, and SafeLink, the only statewide 24/7 toll-free domestic violence hotline in Massachusetts. The Legal Program serves clients by: representing them in domestic violence family law matters in the Probate & Family Courts and in restraining order hearings in both the District Courts and Probate & Family Courts; offering brief service and/or limited representation in certain cases where full representation is not provided; and managing a Legal help Line for telephone assistance and intake purposes. The Legal Program’s clients are Casa Myrna’s program participants, as well as community clients who are not otherwise connected with Casa Myrna, and Legal Help Line callers. The Staff Attorney provides legal services to the Legal Program’s clients.
|Principal Duties and Responsibilities
· Provides legal representation in domestic violence-related civil legal matters in Probate and Family Courts and District Courts as resources permit, thereby enhancing access to legal remedies for those affected by domestic violence.
· Advocates for clients with housing, welfare, immigration, and other legal needs.
· Participates in and provides trainings for advocates, student interns and volunteers on abuse prevention laws, the dimensions of domestic violence, and family law matters.
· Performs additional duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Project Duties and Responsibilities of Medical/Legal Position
· Develops relationships with medical and social service providers at medical/legal partnership sites, including the Haven Program at Massachusetts General Hospital and the Center for Violence Prevention and Recovery at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital.
· Establishes medical/legal partnership sites at 1-2 additional hospitals and/or health centers.
· Meets with clients on site at partnership sites, triages referrals and provides legal consultation to clients referred by providers at partnership sites.
· Provides training and consultation to medical and social services providers at partnership sites.
|Qualifications and Requirements
· Familiarity with District Courts, Probate and Family Courts, legal services as well as community agencies and resources.
· Demonstrated ability to utilize appropriate communication techniques when responding to callers/clients that shows sensitivity to their needs.
· Ability to interact with callers and clients in a non-judgmental manner.
· Ability to prioritize, manage multiple tasks and coordinate work at various job sites; ability to work independently and in a team.
· Strong organizational skills.
· Maintains professional boundaries at all times.
· Maintains confidentiality regarding program participants.
· Driver’s license and access to vehicle preferred.
Starting Salary: $48,000 annually Location: Boston (South End), MA
Casa Myrna is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
Please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org