Seeking public interest lawyer, preferably with campaign finance and/or election law experience, for joint project by two cutting-edge non-profits, Free Speech For People and Represent.Us.
Free Speech For People, a national nonpartisan nonprofit organization, was founded on the day of the Supreme Court’s Citizens United v. FEC decision. We’re working to get big money out of politics and to push back against corporations claiming constitutional rights to disregard federal, state, and local laws.
We’re collaborating with Represent.Us, a national non-partisan campaign to pass tough anti-corruption laws in cities and states across America, and end the legalized corruption that has come to define modern politics. Represent.Us chapters create real, non-partisan, grassroots political power from the bottom up.
Competitive benefits are offered for this position, including employer-paid insurance (health, dental, life and disability), generous paid vacation leave, and retirement benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
The position is focused on researching, drafting, and defending legislation.
The Counsel’s focus will be legal support for Represent.Us’s state and local ballot initiative campaigns. These campaigns build on the momentum from the Tallahassee, Florida anti-corruption initiative to develop cutting-edge electoral politics reforms that overhaul ethics, transparency, enforcement and campaign finance law. Specific tasks will include:
- Working closely with Represent.Us and its local chapters on legal strategy
- Evaluating jurisdictions for campaign viability
- Drafting and reviewing proposed legislation and ballot initiatives
- Advising advocates on fast-moving legal issues that arise
- Lobbying or testifying in support
- Defending legislation against legal challenge
The Counsel for the Democracy Program will report to Free Speech For People’s Legal Director (Ron Fein), based in Newton, MA. The position will require occasional travel to Represent.Us’s headquarters in Northampton, MA, and to campaign locations around the country.
- J.D. and membership in good standing in a state bar
- 2+ years experience, preferably including:
- campaign finance and/or election law
- both legislation and litigation
- state and/or local government law
- Dedication to public interest work
- Strong written and oral advocacy skills
- Ability to work independently in an entrepreneurial, startup nonprofit environment
Location: Free Speech For People’s Legal Advocacy office is in Newton, MA, just outside Boston. Exceptional candidates from other locations may be considered if they have a demonstrated ability to work independently and remotely.
Application instructions: Send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and (if <5 years experience) law school transcript to Oske Buckley at attorney (at) freespeechforpeople (dot) org.
Free Speech For People is an affirmative action employer and recruits, employs, retains, and promotes persons in a manner that does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, veteran status, or physical or mental ability which is unrelated to job performance.