|Job Title: Assistant General Counsel, Insurance Terms & Regulatory Specialist||Reports to: Chief Legal Officer|
|Department: Legal||FLSA: E|
|Location: Boston/New York|
This position is responsible for the development, drafting, approval and maintenance of policy wordings for Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance’s (“BHSI”) commercial insurance policies, endorsements, schedules and forms and any regulatory issues surrounding their use in either the admitted, non-admitted or international markets. The attorney selected for this position will work closely with the underwriting, claims, marketing and compliance departments to manuscript insurance policy wordings and provide technical legal advice for complex contracts related to insuring agreements. The attorney in this position will also be called upon to assist the claims organization in the settlement or prosecution of insurance coverage actions related to policy words utilized by BHSI.
Essential Job Functions
- Support underwriters in reviewing and drafting wordings for Casualty, Property and Executive/ Professional Lines policies.
- Review, amend and evaluate standard market and broker produced policy documentation.
- Create and produce manuscript wordings & individually tailored documents drafted specifically for clients’ individual needs.
- Assist in the formulation and review of general insurance product documentation.
- Liaison with administration, claims, compliance, legal, marketing and underwriting teams regarding wording issues and market practices.
- Work with It to develop and maintain a wordings/policy database.
- Review legal and regulatory requirements concerning the products issued by BHSI.
- Participate in new product and business opportunities. Communicate with affiliate or related Berkshire Hathaway entities on policy production and regulatory compliance.
- Develop system to disseminate legal information to underwriting, claims and other management teams on legal developments that effect BHSI products.
- Engage with designated producers as requested by management.
- JD Degree from an ABA approved law school.
- Admission to practice in either New York or Massachusetts as a licensed attorney or certified House Counsel.
- Large 100+ law firm experience preferred.
- 15 years’ experience with Property, Casualty and Professional Lines experience.
- 10 years in-house insurance experience drafting policy wordings.
- Specific experience with Property, Casualty and Professional lines underwriting.
- Experience with general insurance principles and practices.
- Time management and prioritization skills required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Self-driven and self-disciplined.
- Be able to work independently.
- Superior academic credentials.
- Prior insurance coverage litigation experience preferred.
- Prior DOI experience encouraged.