Senior Lead Counsel, Real Estate Development – (190009ZX)
The Senior Counsel, Real Estate Development, will provide management, counsel, representation and supervision of the Real Estate Practice within the Commercial Transactions Center of Excellence. The Senior Counsel reports directly to the Senior Lead Counsel for Real Estate and is accountable for delivering excellent legal services to advance MassDOT and the MBTA’s Real Estate Development interests. The Senior Counsel provides supervision and management of in-house attorneys and outside counsel.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Provide management and oversight of all matters associated with Transit Oriented Development, Air Rights, and complex commercial development projects within the Office of the General Counsel, including the supervision of MassDOT and MBTA Real Estate attorneys and support staff
· Determines policy pertaining to MassDOT/MBTA Real Estate Development transactions, interests and strategic plans
· Provide legal advice for construction and development projects including with respect to evaluation and allocation of risk between the MBTA/MassDOT and other public and private entities
· Draft, negotiate, review and finalize real estate legal documents in connection with the acquisition, disposition, and use of MassDOT/MBTA real property including procurement process, licenses, leases, easements, purchase and sale agreements, deeds, development agreements, 99-year leases, air rights leases
· Provide real estate legal advice and oversight in connection with the MassDOT/MBTA’s use of real estate interests for Capital Delivery and the Office of Real Estate and Asset Development (OREAD) (including rail, transit, bus, and TOD projects) and larger expansion projects
· Engage and oversee the work of outside legal counsel to represent MassDOT/MBTA for complex Real Estate Development transactions
· Coordinates with MBTA Office of Labor Relations when real estate transactions may implicate Agency labor relations matters
· Support the development of the Office of the General Counsel budget
· Ensure compliance with applicable laws and authorities, including enabling legislation, delegated authority, Board approvals, and procurement law
· Review and approve documents prepared by consultants and outside counsel prior to approval as to form by General Counsel and execution on behalf of MassDOT/MBTA
· Provide strategic advice and assistance to MassDOT and MBTA departments on initiatives involving commercial and real estate development
· Interpret court decisions and opinions, statutes, rules and regulations applicable to MassDOT/MBTA
· Perform related duties as assigned
· Juris doctor degree is required
· Membership in good standing of the Massachusetts Bar
· At least ten (10) years of experience related to complex real estate development transactions
· Ability to organize and manage legal and support personnel
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Robin Burke, Human Resources, at 857-368-8524.
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
Minimum Entrance Requirements
Applicants must have at least (A) six (6) years of full-time or, equivalent part-time, professional, administrative, supervisory, or managerial experience in business administration, business management, public administration, public management, clinical administration or clinical management of which (B) at least two (2) years must have been in a project management, supervisory or managerial capacity or (C) any equivalent combination of the required experience and substitutions below.
I. A certificate in a relevant or related field may be substituted for one (1) year of the required (A) experience.
II. A Bachelor’s degree in a related field may be substituted for two (2) years of the required (A) experience.
III. A Graduate degree in a related field may be substituted for three (3) years of the required (A) experience.
IV. A Doctorate degree in a related field may be substituted for four (4) years of the required (A) experience.
All job applications must be submitted online through MassCareers to be considered. If you need an accommodation to complete the application electronically, please contact the Interim ADA Coordinator, Derrick Mann, at 857-368-8541.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit massanf.taleo.net.