Website Chisholm Chisholm and Kilpatrick, LTD ("CCK")
Agency Team Attorney
Chisholm Chisholm and Kilpatrick, LTD (“CCK”) is seeking a full-time attorney to join its Agency practice. This position involves representing veterans of the U.S. Armed Services in claims and appeals for VA disability benefits before the U.S Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Offices and Board of Veterans’ Appeals. Being part of CCK’s Agency practice provides the opportunity to make a difference every day in the lives of disabled veterans and their families. As a team of attorneys and accredited practitioners, we are committed to equality and inclusion in the workplace and seek to hire well-qualified and highly motivated individuals who best represent the diversity of our clients.
· Conducting case record analysis, oversight and direction of case strategy and development (e.g. affidavits, VA Forms, medical records, and expert reports), and communication with CCK’s veteran clients and VA employees; managing a team of paralegals, to include identifying and fostering employee development;
· Engaging in directly and overseeing client communications.
· Managing a full caseload, to include the filing of necessary documents and appeals.
· Drafting and editing arguments in support of claims and appeals.
· Maintaining awareness and management of case deadlines.
· Attending and participating in subject matter trainings.
· Staying up to date on precedential law to ensure cases are being argued as effectively as possible.
· Actively engaging in collaborative meetings on various aspects of case strategy and team management.
· Preparing and presenting trainings in veterans’ benefits law.
· Taking on additional special projects, as needed.
· Possibility of occasional travel to attend in-person or virtual hearings before Regional Office employees and Veterans’ law judges or Veterans’ law conferences
A successful candidate is a dynamic and motivated individual able to collaborate and thrive in a team environment while also demonstrating capability of working independently. Exceptional verbal and written communication skills required. Qualities for long-term success and advancement include initiative, dedication, strong work ethic, excellent time management skills, accountability, passion for the work and/or population we serve, the ability to provide excellent customer service, and a focus on consistent and continued improvement of self and the team. Excellent academic credentials with proven skills in writing, analysis and research are required.
Cover letter, resume, and writing samples required. Only licensed attorneys or those having recently passed any state bar exam, or individuals accredited to practice before the VA, should apply.
· Applicants must have a Juris Doctor (J.D.) and admission to at least one state Bar.
· Alternatively, applicants must be accredited to practice before the VA.
· Prior experience in veterans’ law, public interest, or management positions is preferred but not required.
· Starting salary is $75,000, commensurate with experience, with advancement based on performance.
· Access to an assortment of health, disability, and life insurance benefits; 401k plan; paid time off; and a wellness reimbursement program.
Due to the unforeseen circumstances with COVID-19, this position is temporarily training and working remotely. Therefore, access to internet connection with a router/modem, and a quiet workspace is required. As CCK deems it appropriate, this position will be required to report to the CCK Headquarters in Providence, RI daily.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org